From the maker of mobile giant and top global sales leader in China, Huawei subsidized a new budget-friendly phone. Honor devices, labeled as “your first AI phone”, takes its cues from Huawei’s Mate 10 but in a cheaper offering – which makes it a very tempting proposition.
The Honor View 10 is the latest smartphone to ditch the standard 16:9 screen ratio for a 18:9 one, allowing a 5.99-inch display to sit in a compact, with 1080 x 2160 resolution and easy-to-hold body. It is also almost as bezel-free as its competitors, but at first glance it is a well-conceived package with flagship-class specifications and premium build.
Unlike the latest bandwagon, Honor V10 retained the headphone jack (which is still a plus for some) and the home button with front-facing fingerprint scanner — old-fashioned, but convenient. It comes with a USB Type-C port that supports fast charging.
The View 10 is powered by Huawei’s latest Kirin 970 chipset along with 6GB of RAM and expandable 128GB internal storage slot. It runs on EMUI 8.0, the Android’s Oreo. One of the most amazing thing about this device is because it has its own NPU (neural processing unit) for AI features including face unlocking, 3D face construction, AI-accelerated translator, Smart Tips and even an AI-powered portrait mode for selfies. It also has Apple-inspired Animojis, which is a great bargain for those appealing on iPhone X features on a budget.
On the other corner, V10 made it a step further with its impressive battery capacity with more than 3750mAh while Galaxy Note 8 sits at 3300mAh, and iPhone X low at 2617mAh.
The camera lens are filled with a 20-megapixel and 16-megapixel lens array, RGB lens, both with native f/1.8 apertures, and produces bokeh shots and monochrome pictures for enhanced details. The portrait mode can be used to create an auto depth-of-field effect. Unlike the iPhone, this is available on both rear cameras as well as the 13-megapixel selfie cam.
It will have to do some work but as far as it is unveiled, it’s already competitively fast, well built and has some pretty impressive specs at this level. Colors available are: Navy Blue, Midnight Black, Beach Gold, Aurora Blue, Charm Red and is expected to be released on January 2018 with a selling price of 500 EUR.
- Dimensions 157 x 75 x 7 mm (6.18 x 2.95 x 0.28 in)
- Weight 172 g (6.07 oz)
- Front glass, aluminum body
- Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- LTPS IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size 5.99 inches, 92.6 cm2 (~78.6% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution 1080 x 2160 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~403 ppi density)
- EMUI 8.0, Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Chipset Hisilicon Kirin 970
- Octa-core (4×2.4 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A53)
- Mali-G72 MP12
- microSD, up to 256 GB (uses SIM 2 slot)
- Internal 128 GB, 6 GB RAM or 64 GB, 4/6 GB RAM
- 16 MP (f/1.8) + 20 MP, phase detection autofocus, LED flash
- Geo-tagging, touch focus, face/smile detection, panorama, HDR
- WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth 4.2, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- USB 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Non-removable Li-Po 3750 mAh battery
- Up to 528 h (3G)
- Up to 23 h (3G)